box in a carport

vroombaby

Has anyone here done this before? We are thinking about it since we would prefer to have the extra side space (to store things on/in) but also because we can tie it into our current fence line so it does not look like its standing out too much.

striker

I've never heard of a carport being boxed in. Are you in a house or an apartment? The only time I've seen carports is apartments, so I'm not quite sure how you would go about doing this without it looking tacky. What are your thoughts?

vroombaby

It is a house but we have worked around so the fence will wrap the edge of the carport. When you pull into the driveway towards the back of the house is where it will sit. You will also have the option to open a gate on both the front/rear of the port in order to;

1 - get into it and lock it behind you.
2 - go through the carport in order to say haul a boat onto the rest of the yard.

harleydoll

Great idea! From your description, it sounds as though it should work out wonderfully. I hope to see pictures if you decide to go through with it!

Has anyone here done this before? We are thinking about it since we would prefer to have the extra side space (to store things on/in) but also because we can tie it into our current fence line so it does not look like its standing out too much.
Unfortunately, our house doesn't have a carport, so we don't have the option to box it in, but my grandmother's house had a boxed-in carport and it looked great. As long as you choose a building material that suits the existing materials used on the house, I think it'll be fine. :smile:

Vroom Vroom

Yes, we did this at our old house. We actually made it into a large room with windows, French doors and a skylight. The hardest part of the whole thing was finding wood that matched the rest of the house. Once we located it, the rest of the process wasn't that hard.

striker

Building a room off of a carport is a great idea. The room you built sounds lovely. =) I think it sounds wonderful and since you already have experience in the area, you shouldn't have any issues doing it again.

vroombaby

Right now the fence line will run around the entire carport and when the build in happens (I am guessing after the fence and a few house repairs) we will choose everything then. I am thankful we have a great builder for it too.