Built-in or portable?

Retread

I'm tired of spending lots of money on built-in sound systems in vehicles. I'm thinking of just carrying around my own music systems. Between computers, mp3 players, and other portable music devices, why should I spend money on yet another expensive bit of equipment? I'm not in my car much these days anyway.

Lindsey

That's a good point. I think a lot of people connect their iPods to the stereo in their vehicles and listen to whatever tunes they want to. I'm still into listening to my favorite CDs but I know I wouldn't spend money to upgrade my sound system.

harleydoll

I've never spent money on a deluxe sound system for my car. Maybe if I was in the car more, traveling, it would be worth it. My old car had a tape deck and I just hooked up my iPod to it.

Capricheea

That's actually not a bad idea. You could connect an iPod, like the others said or install a DVD player and play music instead of movies.

Paul

You have a point. However, if you have the ear buds in and the volume cranked up, how are going to hear the siren coming up behind you? That's the only negative I can see. I'll stick with my sound sytem.

chloe_lin

Speaking of audio, assuming you're going to use two sets of headphones, AND assuming there's only one volume control, make sure the headphones have similar audio characteristics. Otherwise, one set may be blasting ear drums while the other is just barely audible. I've run into this before.

brian1983

Only spent 400USD for my car audio system.
Boss speakers and Amp cost me 248USD, you can buy a combo form Ebay.
And an indash DVD player only cost me 150USD, very good deal~!