Carry an extra key

Donnie

My wife did it again. She locked her keys in the ignition while she was shopping. I was out of town, and she was an hour away from home. She ended up sitting all afternoon in some strange mall waiting until I could drive an additional 200 miles to get to where she was. She now has an extra car key in her purse.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I used to carry an extra key in my wallet, but that was long before they started making the larger keys. The wife keeps the valet key with her as she has locked her keys in her car a few times.

Hotrod25

Oh no! I lost my extra key but I only lock the door with my key. So if my key is not in my hand I don't lock the door. Believe me, I have left the keys in the ignition and have gone into the store.

Opal

I have an extra key that I leave at home. Wouldn't do me a lot of good if I were out somewhere and locked my keys in the car. Isn't there a magnetic box that you can put a key in and hide it under the hood? Do those work well?

MaximumSpeed

Yeah, I keep an extra in my wallet. Even though the key is one of the bigger ones, I still make room for it because I'm really bad about locking my keys in the car. I've had to call my spouse to bail me out too many times already!

I have an extra key that I leave at home. Wouldn't do me a lot of good if I were out somewhere and locked my keys in the car. Isn't there a magnetic box that you can put a key in and hide it under the hood? Do those work well?
Yeah, they make magnetic key-holder boxes, and they work well. We have one on each vehicle and another one hidden on our property to hold a spare house key. I'm one of the world's worst about leaving the keys in the ignition and then locking myself out of the car! :nerd:

Donnie

I have now had copies of the important keys made and placed them in safe hands or places so we can get to an extra key when we need it. It may be five years down the road, but at least we're prepared now.

FenderBender

Wow, my car won't lock if the keys are still in the ignition. I guess I am pretty lucky. I do have an extra key in my purse though.

SABL

Administrator
I carry 2 sets of keys at all times.......and still have one hidden on the vehicle. I got into the habit of 2 sets of keys when working as a commercial carpenter and carrying lotsa tools and materials. It didn't take too many times of sending a helper to get something out of my van and have them forget to give my keys back. Not fun at quitting time when they drive off with your keys....:mmph:. Or....if many trips were expected during the day I would have them hold my keys.......if I forgot to get them back at the end of the day I was not stranded.

My oldest son was horrible about locking his keys in his van....I carried a spare key for him......:smile:.

I listen to the fire scanner........it's not uncommon to hear "Keys locked in vehicle". The fire dept won't always break your window....:lol:. They have their ways of opening your vehicle in a non-damaging way. Two of my sons are firefighters......they don't mind going for a ride. Don't think of it as wasting resources......these trucks do need to be run on a regular basis. That's why you see firefighters going to the grocery store, for the day's food, in an engine or ladder truck.