Cars in the floods

Ben

It breaks my heart to see all those cars in heaps and flood waters in the Northeast. Of course, I feel even more so for the people, but all those cars are a horrendous sight. I'm hoping they had lots of the right kinds of insurance.

classicjuju

And anyone thinking about buying a used car over the next few months, keep Sandy in mind. After Katrina, there were thousands of used cars sold from Florida to Maine that had been pulled out of Katrina. There are a lot of unscrupulous car salesmen.

smash

Never thought about buying a used car. I feel for those people too. I would think you would need collision on your car for flooding right? Good thing a lot of NYers don't have vehicles.

RoseRed

Yes, the damage all around has been awful and I also hope insurance will cover the losses. I never thought about those flooded cars being sold as used cars; that is pretty terrible.

Naptime

I am wondering if any of them will even work right in the coming months. I mean they all had a ton of sea water in them and that salt has a corrosive effect on all kinds of things. I hope that they were all covered though.

Otto Von

I would think that most of the vehicles would have insurance of some type. However, I am unsure if their insurance would cover flood water damages. It's just nothing something that a lot of people think they will ever need, unfortunately.

Geared

That is a lot of loss, that's for sure. But as someone else pointed out, flood insurance isn't something people think they need and with budgets being as tight as they are most people aren't going to buy something they see an unneeded.

Opal

I'm like classicjuju here. Be really careful if you buy a used car over the next year. Personally, I would not want to buy one that had been in a flood. I can see all kinds of things happening due to being in all that water.