CD getting stuck

Calvin

I've been playing CDs in my mini van for ten years without any trouble. Now, the CD will get about 1/3 into the CD and just stop. I listen to a lot of books, courses and seminars on CD, so this is a real problem. Suggestions, anyone?

If I were you, I'd take the van to a local car stereo shop and see if they can fix it for you. It might be a common problem that's simple to fix, or it might require replacing the CD player altogether. Ten years is a fairly long life for a CD player!

Calvin

It is ten years old, but it's not been used all that much over the course of those years. I don't drive a ton of miles, and it's a second vehicle. I don't want to invest a lot of money in it, so I'll probably just learn to use a portable one I can use other places.

Oh okay. I assumed that since it was malfunctioning, it had seen some heavy use over the years. Well, on the plus side, if you buy a car adapter kit to go along with a portable one, you should still be able to listen to it out of your car speakers!

Pete

Is it happening to all of the CDs you are using or just one or two? If it's all of them, then the CD player probably needs to be retired, especially after 10 years of being bounced around in a van. If it's only a few CDs, try cleaning them to see if that fixes the problem.

Calvin

Pete, strangely it's just a few, or so I think until yet another one does it. I may try cleaning them again, just in case, before I totally give up on it. It may be time to just replace the danged car.

FenderBender

Even with little use the laser life of a CD player isn't that long. When you figure it is being bounced around in a vehicle regularly. I would say that it is probably time for a new stereo. You can get a decent one for around $100.

Pete

Pete, strangely it's just a few, or so I think until yet another one does it. I may try cleaning them again, just in case, before I totally give up on it. It may be time to just replace the danged car.
I suppose if you had the time, you could always rip the CDs and convert them into mp3 format so you can play them on an mp3 player.

isis1

Personally I would rather have a tape deck. I have had no luck keeping CD players working in a car or in my house. I clean them and they still poop out to quick. I hope you can fix yours or find a good one to replace it.