Cleaning the cracks

FenderBender

The kids have managed to get food crumbs pretty much all over the car. They get in all the little cracks and crevices like the CD holder and in the seatbelt assembly. How am I supposed to get it out? I have tried vacuums and toothpicks and neither worked.

UGoGirl

I found a great little detailing kit of specialized little brushes designed to get into various types of crevices in a car. I especially like the tool for cleaning the vents. Try that.

FenderBender

UGo, where did you buy it? Do I have to go to an automotive store or can I get it from a department store like Walmart or Meijer? Was it very expensive?

AWOL

I have always used q-tips to clean out the cracks and crevices. I spray a little cleaner on them and go to work. I have seen the cleaning kits that UGoGirl is talking about. I can't remember exactly where I saw one, but I was not in a car store. I think I was in Walmart. You can also try the compressed air that you use to clean electrical parts with. I've gotten crumbs out of my computer keyboard using that. Come to think of it I'll have to try it in my car. :)

vroombaby

It might be a "girl thing" but I recently got three foundation containers for my makeup, each came with an extra brush and I never need them since I normally get a full set once a year anyways. The extra brushes that I use work great in a pinch and similar ones I am sure can be found at Home Depot or Lowes, even a paint shop.

FenderBender

I have tried Q-tips before without much luck, but hadn't really thought about makeup brushes. I have some of these laying around so I will give that a try. If not I am off to buy a detailing kit.

Sweet16

My mom has us use toothbrushes. She gets them like five for a dollar and marks them with tape on the handle and we use them to clean all kinds of things. They're stiff enough to get in the cracks pretty well.

FenderBender

Sweet16, that is a fantastic idea. I never even thought about using a toothbrush but they are cheap and you are right, they are stiff enough to get in the cracks. I am going to try that.

Sweet16

Yeah, the only time it's a problem is when my little sister forgets that the tape means NOT FOR THE MOUTH. We have always stopped her before she got a taste, though!

Thanks for the information, i really like the post, it was full of information and some humor was also their.

Last edited:

Lindsey

I've used those tiny brushes with some success. But every once in awhile, the crumbs are out of reach. Then I plug my "tire inflator" into the lighter and blow those crumbs out of there. So far it's worked on loose stuff. I guess it wouldn't do the trick for sticky stuff though.

Smoothe

Toothbrushes and tape

I use toothbrushes, too, and make a game of it when we're traveling. The kids love seeing who can get their side of the car the most spotless. There's a prize at the end of the trip. Speaking of tape, I also use that brown shipping tape as a lint remover. Just tape it on and pull it off. Out comes the gook!

Skippy

I just bought a hard surface steamer and it worked so good at getting the built up gunk inside the house, that I am seriously considering using it in the car when the weather warms up. Fender, you can get these at a pretty decent price online. I will let you know how it goes.