Diesel fuel

Marvin

I wonder why diesel fuel has gotten so expensive? It used to be that it always cost less than gasoline. What accounts for this now?

Last edited:

Always2gether

I'm not really sure. Everything is just getting so insanely expensive. I can't believe how much the prices have gone up. I don't see how people are going to even get to work if this keeps up!

oscar

Same reason gas has maybe, because they can? Honestly I don't know. I'm just bitter about the whole subject. I haven't noticed how much it's running, how much is it per gallon?

Road_Runner

How many more miles per gallon would be the difference from gas to diesel? I have always wondered. In my area the difference between gas and diesel is about 60 cents, but if I could travel a lot more that it makes a difference I would really consider it.

MaximumSpeed

I didn't know, either, so I looked it up. According to FactCheck.org:

Q:
Why does diesel fuel cost more than gasoline?
Diesel fuel used to cost less than the more highly refined gasoline. Is there a real reason for this, or is it price gouging?
A:
The main reason is rising global demand, but new environmental restrictions and higher federal taxes also are factors.
Historically, the price of diesel fuel at the pump actually has been higher than that of regular gasoline more often than it has been lower, as can be seen in this chart, which is based on weekly statistics from the federal Energy Information Administration.
You can read more about this situation and the reasons for it at their site:
http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/why_does_diesel_fuel_cost_more_than.html
I know for a long time, diesel was cheaper, and that was probably because of the same supply-and-demand situation that is affecting it now.

Marvin

Nice research work there Max. I think it's time for some savvy business persons to get serious about bio-diesel. Bio-diesel might be pricey at first, but I would buy it. (Maybe THAT'S the strategy....?)

janesmith

nowadays diesel fuel is so expensive..the price of diesel fuel at the pump actually has been higher than that of regular gasoline more often than it has been lower..well nice information..its very useful..thanks for sharing..:)

Thanks

Skippy

I have noticed diesel getting a ton more expensive. I think it should spur people to push for non-petroleum based fuels, but I don't see that happening any time soon. The technology for the electric car has been around nearly 50 years but it keeps getting shoved to the back burner.

Leslie

I'm not sure biodiesel is the answer, either. Did you know that the technologies exist to do things like get 100 mpg, run on water instead of gasoline, and similar things? The reason we don't have them? Follow the money trail.

lamborg25

So much things happening around and insane price hikes. I have never known diesel fuel to be more expensive than gasoline. If anything, is it not in less demand than gasoline?