Does a black car paint melt?

fiat500

I know it's a bit of a daft question but when I went to Sicily in the summer of 2009 it was extremely hot. There was a time it went up to 48 degrees Celsius.
Anyway, my sister-in-law's boyfriend has got a black sports car with so much dust. I was going to scribble something on the hood with my finger but he stopped me because he said I was going to scratch the paint. I thought it was weird.

MomVan

I've never heard of black paint melting on a car. Maybe he was talking about the dust particles scratching the paint. I could see that happening because it has bits of rock and other stuff in it.

TransAm

Yeah, as MomVan said he would have been concerned about the dust particles scratching the paint. Still, you'd think he would keep the car nice and clean if he was so concerned about it, wouldn't you?

Chaoticdriver

That's good point TA, but don't you think that he was so concerned about the dust scratching the paint so that he chose not to clean the car at all? :D Anyway, I have never heard black paint melting on a car either.

fiat500

Maybe I misunderstood their conversation because they were talking in Italian. But I remember him saying something about the hot weather and the black paint. Talk about "lost in translation."

Last edited: