First car and what you need to know

smash

My daughter is going to be 16 this month. I told her that we would buy a used car but she had to learn how to change a tire and the oil. She was freaking! I had to do this when I was her age. I know it's the cell phone age and she can call for help but I think she should be able to do this. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hotrod25

I think it's a great idea to teach her those things. I know a lot of women who don't even know how to put gas in the car. I don't know if I would be able to change my oil but I can change my tire.

FenderBender

I learned how to do this mostly because my dad did all my work and made us help. I think that everyone should know how to change a tire because that is something that can happen at any time and you won't always have cell phone reception.

smash

I'm glad that others feel the same way. You are right, you might now always have cell phone reception. She has finally decided that she wants to learn how to do both now. She actually wants to buy a truck and fix it up.

Calvin

Any girl who wants a truck should know and can learn how to change a tire. She may have a fit until she learns how, but she'll be so proud of herself after she learns how.

Ergal

oSpoim which

In my opinion, the most important thing to learn is how to put gas, like Hotrod25 said. Then teach her how to change a tire. You can leave changing the oil to the mechanics, but at least your daughter should know when it needs changing.

Jerry

Yeah i agree with you on this,its really a good idea to familiar the children with the automotive world.Its a general work and in her/his life it can helps it at any moment.Girls are not interested in these things but if you can make up their mind from childhood so its not an issue for us.