How loud is too loud?

Capricheea

While I was in driving school they taught us not to listen to music too loud because you need to hear the traffic and sirens or any other important noises, but they never said how loud is too loud. What do you think? How loud should you set your speakers?

vroombaby

As for driving teachers I would guess anything over "elevator music" would be considered loud. Our teacher told us the same thing and then one day a student caught him at a stop light blasting his own music, talk about embarrassing.

leadfoot

It's a good idea not to have it too loud so you can hear the sirens and traffice. However, we are all young once and I have been know to crank up the volume and just boogey with the beat.

Ben

Ask Grandma

If you don't know how loud "too loud" is, take your grandmother for a ride. Turn on the music and ask her how loud she is comfortable with your music playing. She'll tell you. Remember what she says. She's right on.

RoseRed

I'm not great about following this advice and tend to blast the stereo. It helps drown out the sound of my own voice as I sing along. ;)

kumkum

While I was in driving school they taught us not to listen to music too loud because you need to hear the traffic and sirens or any other important noises, but they never said how loud is too loud. What do you think? How loud should you set your speakers?
Hi Capricheea!
You have a genuine point in this. When I was in the school my mother also used to say like this and the same question arises in my mind. But after completion of my B.tech I came to know the range. We should always listen to the music in between 40-70 db. We generally talk in the range of 40-60 db which is sufficient to listen a person nearby. So, after the day I came to know about the range I never go beyond 65 db.