I want my own car!

Sweet16

I know I don't (quite) have my license yet, but I don't want to have to wait around for my parents to let me use a car, so I want my own car. I really want a Jeep Wrangler, but I don't think I will be able to get that much money.

AWOL

The nice thing about Jeep Wrangler's is that you can get an older Wrangler that still looks great and runs great for pretty cheap. I had a 1998 Wrangler with 68,000 miles that I sold for $2500 because it needed some body work....and even with the body work it needed, it was still a nice looking vehicle. I miss my Jeep!! The other nice thing about a Wrangler is that the parts are cheap and if you or a friend are handy, you can do a lot of your own work. :)

UGoGirl

You need to also remember to factor into the total cost your insurance, gas and oil, and regular maintenance. You're probably way ahead using your parents' cars for now.

Sweet16

Oh, man. I didn't even think of all that, UGoGirl. Phooey. I need to get a job! Maybe I can talk my mom into covering those things for me. Of course, I need a job to buy a car anyway, I guess.

vroombaby

It takes time and money to get a car, no matter what age you are. Many start out with beater cars and you might get one as well but it is possible. Try to work with a local smaller dealership that is willing to have lower prices, most are reasonable.

NeedNewWheels

I know it sucks because you get stuck in a cycle. In order to get a car, you need a job. In order to get to a job, you need a car. It's always nice if a parent can afford a car for their kids but of course, not everybody is in that position.

Ares

It reminds me of an episode of Fear Factor (aired a few years ago). A contestant (or a couple?) got a Jeep Wrangler after winning a round in the episode. I think it is the fastest way of getting a Wrangler. :)

FenderBender

I would say unless your parents are going to help with the extras it is probably best to wait until you can afford it. I don't know if you have a part time job yet but it would be easier to pay those things if you do.

Sweet16

No, I haven't been able to get a job yet because I'm in school and my mom said I have to wait until the summer. She did say she will take me or let me use her car if she doesn't need it, once I have a job and a license.

RacecaR

Jeeps are nice. I'm fairly fond of them myself. I'm not so much interested in a Wrangler as a bigger one. Maybe a Laredo. Need cargo space, you know.

AWOL

Don't be in such a hurry to get a job and owe money to people! Concentrate on your school work and drive your parent's cars until you absolutely have to get your own car. There will come a day, soon enough, when you will be responsible for paying a whole bunch of bills on your own...don't hurry it along! :)

MaximumSpeed

I'm with AWOL. Don't be in such a hurry to "grow up" - enjoy being a kid while you can. Adult responsibilities (and bills) will last the rest of your life! Don't wish your life away.

Alexus

That is a nice, fun vehicle for a young person. Just be careful, and don't get too crazy with it. Your parents are going to have to have a lot of insurance on you already, when you start to drive.