Neighbors.....

coup

My neighbors sold their car to get a motorcycle. This is now their only form of transportation. They are a young couple and not the nicest either. Today they asked me to take them to get groceries. I was busy so I said no. Did they not stop to think about this? They will have to get side packs and only get a few things at a time. I do not care if they are having a party and want to buy so much beer it won't fit on the bike.... some people.

Wini

Wow, that's a lot of nerve of them to ask you to take them to the store. That's definitely something to think about if you decide to get a motorcycle and have no other vehicle. Even if I wasn't busy I would have said no!

NeedNewWheels

Well that's just ridiculous. I would have suggested they take public transportation. Did they at least offer you something in return?

HANG

That's stupid of them. If I were you, and they were nice people, I would have just given them my car for the trip. I lend my neighbors my car a lot since they only have a motorbike as well. THey are kind unlike yours it appears.

philio

It would have been one thing if they were nice and they asked you before they bought the bike. It seems kind of inconsiderate for them to ask you after the fact like that and on a moments notice.

NeedNewWheels

That's stupid of them. If I were you, and they were nice people, I would have just given them my car for the trip. I lend my neighbors my car a lot since they only have a motorbike as well. THey are kind unlike yours it appears.
You're a lot nicer than me! Or maybe I'm just stingy. I don't let anybody outside those in my household borrow my car.

I also have a feeling these people are going to take advantage. You give them the car once to borrow and it doesn't end there.

Dodge Doll

That is just too funny, and how typical, too.

I used to toss my one neighbor my car keys whenever she needed groceries... but I wouldn't let her husband drive my ride, no way. He was far too aggressive on the road for my comfort and my insurance!

Donald

It would have been one thing if they were nice and they asked you before they bought the bike. It seems kind of inconsiderate for them to ask you after the fact like that and on a moments notice.
Even if they asked before buying the motorcycle, I think it's rude to impose like that. It puts you in an awkward position to have to say no. The main problem is that this is a permanent situation for them. I'd be happy to give my neighbors a ride once in a while if they needed something special. It's ridiculous to expect someone to regularly take you out for groceries though.

Last edited:

vroombaby

More than likely they did not think about it before hand. We were actually talking about getting a bike years ago and we are now thankful we decided not to. Too many things could go wrong with that being your only means of transportation.

Skippy

That is rude. I would have told them that you aren't a taxi service but you'd be glad to get them the number for one. I would never just loan anyone outside my household my car either because if they get in an accident with it, you are liable not them.

Vroom Vroom

I think you were very wise to say "no" when you were asked about giving them a ride. If you did it once, you would be their "go to" every single time they needed a lift somewhere.

I wonder if your neighbors have thought about what they are going to do if it rains or if it is too cool to ride?

MaximumSpeed

I think liability, in a case of borrowing, depends on the state in which you live. Still, that is a difficult situation. They might need to look into saddlebags so they can carry some things on their bike.

harleydoll

This doesn't surprise me at all. People who have been dependent on others to take care of them their entire lives expect it to continue despite their poor decisions.

Luanne

Carless neighbors

I remember a certain college professor and his wife and two children. They used to brag about not having a car or a television. What they didn't brag about was that they always bummed a ride to the grocery store off of their neighbors and that when they wanted to watch a television show, they showed up at someone else's house. I say a freeloader is a freeloader, no matter how cool they think they are.

That was really stupid of them. Hopefully other neighbors/friends that they ask for rides will hold their guard as well so that they learn their lesson.

Tony

They didn't think that decision through all the way did they? On top of that, they asked if they could borrow a car. How stupid is that?