Rotors bad but not pads

smash

My car was shaking when I pushed on the brakes. My hubby took it apart a bit ago and said the rotors were bad but not the pads. The brake pads look brand new! Very strange! He just went to get new rotors - $35 each.

Paul

I always thought that when the rotors went bad, so did the pads? This is a new one on me. I've had rotors go bad and always replaced both at the same time.

FenderBender

I usually replace both at the same time but the rotors can go bad on their own. I just had a new rotor put on and had the other one turned. I am glad that my grandpa has the machinery to do that for me since it can cost $80 a rotor to have them turned.

These days, you just about come out better to replace the rotors rather than have them machined/turned. Smash - Have you guys been able to figure out why the rotors were bad, but not the pads? Had you recently changed the pads?

smash

Seriously I think it was from the car sitting for a year without being driven. I think condensation was the culprit. We had the old rotors turned and bought new ones to put on right now. It only cost us $10 each to turn them.

Wow smash, $10/rotor to turn is a great deal! You could have a point about the condensation, as moisture leads to rust. Either way, I'm glad to hear you got a good deal on turning the old rotors and buying the new ones. :)

Hotrod25

$10 is a great deal to turn a rotor. I think I pay $15 for each (or that is what I paid the last time). I'm glad you only needed rotors. Rotors are what cost more right? We just changed the pads in my car.