Selling junk cars

Donnie

We have a piece of property way out in the country. There have been some old cars on the lot for ten or fifteen years. They were there when we bought the property. Is it worth having them hauled away? Does the scrap metal value pay for the tow truck? I've not doing anything like this before. I don't want them to cost me money, or they can just stay there.

Paul

We've had a few that we've junked over the years. Call a local salvage company. They will come tow the car and pay you a little as well. The last one that I junked was worth $100.00. Better than nothing.

Hotrod25

I would give it a try! If there are any parts on the vehicles that you can strip off they will be worth more. My hubby just bought a smashed up car for $150. Scrap yard gave him $200, but he stripped the catalytic converter and someone paid him $150 for that. He also took off another part and went to the scrap yard and got $100.

Paul

I had not thought of stripping usable parts Hotrod25. That's a good idea. I would check some of the local mechanics to see if they were interested in parts. Even pieces like rear view mirrors and side mirrors cost an arm and a leg at the dealership.

Donnie

I don't think there is much on any of the cars in the way of parts, but I'll do a double check. I think there may be a logo on one or two of them. At least it's cold this time of the year, and I don't have to worry about finding snakes in the cars while I'm looking. Hey, maybe someone left some change behind the seats.

Geared

Most salvage yards that buy junk cars have their own tow trucks. They simply take the fee they would usually charge for the tow and take it out of the final price they pay you for the car. It's still a pretty good deal.