1. Before you even start cleaning, it is important to find a place that is good for washing the car. Although you might believe that a very sunny or otherwise warm spot is ideal, this is not the case. Actually, the heat will cause the soap to dry at a faster rate, which means unattractive streaks on the windows and other areas of the car. If you can, choose an area such as under a tree or inside a garage. If you use a garage, make sure to clear out anything that could be damaged should it get wet.
2. Use a cleaning liquid that is specifically designed for washing cars. Although it may not occur to some vehicle owners, it is actually not advisable to use dishwasher or washing machine detergent. When this type of soap is used, because it is meant to specifically deal with oils and food particles, it could actually damage the coating of the car. If you are not confident, do not use something. Consult with an expert at your local car dealership, car maintenance shop or other place that deals with the subject in order to know for sure.
3. Using terrycloth, dip it inside a bucket full of water and the special soap. Once this has been done, rub the cloth over the car in a circular motion. Terrycloth is recommended over a regular t-shirt or other item such as a diaper, due to the fact that it will absorb grime and dirt more efficiently. This process should not be rushed, as you may miss a few crucial areas as a result. Make sure that you have enough time to get the job done; washing the car shortly before leaving for an important business meeting, for example, is not recommended.
4. Once the whole outside body of the car has been coated in the soapy water, rinse everything off. If you have a hose handy, this will work sufficiently; otherwise, take the bucket you have been using to where water is available, fill it up with water that is free of soap, and use that as a substitute. Get rid of as much soap as you can, as this will reduce residue and keep your car looking clean.
5. Ask other people for help. The more of you there are, the faster the process will go. In addition, they may spot something that you missed, and this should be kept in mind.