Black bear

Hotrod25

Can someone tell me why a black bear would rip apart a utility pole? We have black bear in our area but its the first time I have seen actual damage from one. There are footprints (big) so I would say the bear is about 500 pounds.

harleydoll

Yikes! I don't know why a black bear would do such a thing. Maybe the bear was feeling scared or threatened by something. Perhaps it thought the pole was something else!

Hotrod25

It was odd, we see black bear often on our property. A couple of times they went and sat near our wood pile for about an hour. That was a bit freaky too, I did not dare come out of the house.

vroombaby

What if he was using it as a scratching post? I mean I would much rather pay higher taxes to replace a pole than have a bear attack a random person in the community. Just a thought.

Hotrod25

He could have been. I did some research on this and they say bears scratch things to mark where they have been. I guess they can leave their scent on the item they scratch. So it looks like the bear might be paying us another visit if this is true.

Vroom Vroom

He could have been. I did some research on this and they say bears scratch things to mark where they have been. I guess they can leave their scent on the item they scratch. So it looks like the bear might be paying us another visit if this is true.
Male deer do the same thing by scratching off the bark of a tree with their antlers. It is a way to let others know that they have claimed the space.