AC or mileage?

Big Al

I only run the air conditioning when the heat is unbearable so I can get better mileage. My wife doesn't agree with me and is always willing to sacrifice mileage for comfort, but when she fills up the car, she complains about the price. What do you do?

Pete

If it's around 80 degrees, I can deal with it with the windows down. But once it starts creeping into the upper 80s and higher, the windows are up and the AC is on.

CharlieBrown

I drive on the interstate mostly, so it actually uses more gas driving with the windows down, because of all the drag. I'm like your wife though, I'm going to be comfortable regardless if it costs me an extra dollar per fill-up. Besides, I don't like the wind blowing everything around.

Luanne

Air conditioning and mileage

I will drive less, but I won't be driving in the sweltering heat unless I have no other recourse. It's just too danged humid and hot here in the South to even think about it. I'll clip coupons, but the AC stays.

Hotrod25

I could care less about mileage! I run the A/C all the time - sometimes even in the winter when I get the car too hot. I'm not giving up comfort for gas mileage.

vroombaby

I am not always willing to make the sacrifice but I am more willing than my husband. He loves the idea of the wind in his hair. I prefer not smelling the nasty cars around me though.

cartalk

I don't let the price of gas stop me from running it. Then again, I don't usually drive very far distances and take awhile too get too hot as it is, so I have advantages.

FenderBender

I don't use my AC, not because of any savings, but because it bothers me. I would much rather have the fresh air blowing in my face. With the air on I feel like my car gets stuffy.

Here in Georgia where I live, it's not just hot, it's humid too, so we sacrifice the better gas mileage and run the A/C until fall. Once the heat and the humidity decrease, we'll ride everywhere with the windows down. Until then, thank God for air-conditioning!!

JohnBoy

AC or mileage

We live in a hot, humid state. Some days it would be unbearable not to have air conditioning, especially inside a car where degrees can mount so high you could die in there if the doors were closed. We run the air conditioning.

Pete

Gotta add one more comment to my post. My wife will run the AC when it's in the mid to upper 70s and we used to argue about it. I've realized that I can't win so she does whatever she wants. lol