Age for a first motorcycle

Aces

My cousin's father just gave him a dynamite motorcycle, and a Harley at that, for his 16th birthday. I have a sixteen-year-old, and I wouldn't let anyone give him a Harley, let alone buy him one myself. Kids these days are too young for bikes this early. Am I that far behind the times? The traffic is crazy out there.

Hotrod25

No way ever would I buy a Harley for a 16 year old. A dirtbike maybe but not a real Harley. Wow, are these people loaded or what? I don't think you are behind the times... I wouldn't do it either.

Naptime

That is just crazy! What is your cousin thinking buying a Harley for a 16 year old? Most teenagers are barely responsible enough to drive a car, let alone a motorcycle.

FenderBender

Definitely not! Who goes and buys a motorcycle for a 16 year old? I wouldn't even buy them a dirt bike or anything like that. They are way too dangerous. They can buy there own when they are adults.

bjstorm

That sounds like a foolish thing to do. Teenagers have been known to make poor decisions when behind the wheel. At least in a car, they have a chance of surviving an accident. They have no chance on a bike.

Aces

Yes, they are loaded. Yes, he is spoiled beyond belief. He is kind of mature for his age in some ways, but these kids will do things on the spur of the moment if the peer pressure is right.

Vroom Vroom

It's about as crazy as my friend who gave her son a dirtbike. He is five. The bike is very small, but it does have a gas engine and I can still see a lot of ways he could get hurt.

Capricheea

I agree this is not a good idea. At 16 I would give my kid a new regular bicycle at best. I really hope your cousin will be a responsible biker.

vroombaby

My husband had a bike when he was 18 but he had also been riding for years, had a full time job and bought the bike himself. I doubt I would let my kids start riding that young either, though I would coach them (and praise them) for learning the trait of riding the proper way.