Bear of a job!

AWOL

I finished replacing the wheel hub assembly on my truck a few days ago...what a bear of a job that one was! The assembly was completely rusted to the steering knuckle and I worked at getting it off for a day and a half without any luck. I found a suggestion on youtube about using the steering wheel and a strategically placed socket as a sort of hydrolic press. Do you know the wheel assembly popped off like cake in no time? I had the job completely finished within the hour. I saved myself a nice chunk of change, too.

SpeedyG

I had a similar problem with the wheels on an old Bronco I used to have. They were rusted as well, but eventually got it done. I'll keep that trick in mind for the future. Thanks!

Hotrod25

Awesome! Sounds like a big job - I bet you were super glad when you finished! I know I'm always glad when I finish a big project. How much do you think it would have cost to have it done professionally?

vroombaby

It is great that you did the work yourself and I am sure you saved a ton of money. That is a job I would have hired out just because of the time it would take for me, and right now with the holidays approaching I wish I had more time for anything, even working on the car!

AWOL

Hotrod, the job probably would have been a few hundred bucks. The part alone was $130. I just couldn't risk the unknown repair cost right before the holidays, so I had to take on this project. I was so proud of myself when I took the truck for a test drive. I like to tinker, so the more I'm learning to do myself, the happier I am!