Bikers & rain

vroombaby

I see many drivers never know how to handle driving near a biker. It came very close this weekend during a random downpour when I watched a minivan driving too close to a biker who almost had to put it down to get out of the way. I honestly which for everyone's safety that the DMV could add some extra into the handbook for the safety with different types of vehicles on the orad.

Donald

I agree about the DMV adding a section in the handbook regarding driving in the presence of other vehicles. When I was an inexperienced driver, I came somewhat close to hitting a bike when I was changing lanes in heavy freeway traffic. The biker was lane splitting, which is legal where I live. I don't remember anything in the handbook about watching out for motorcycles driving between lanes on the freeway. I bet a lot of new drivers don't look out for this, until they have a close call like I did.

MaximumSpeed

I agree that it can be dangerous. On the other hand, my son really enjoys riding his bike in the rain. He and his sister went out on it this afternoon when it was raining here.

vroombaby

My spouse remembers having to lay down a bike with a car coming straight at home around a large bend on an old country road. Even roads that are straight (or a highway) are bad, too many people are just uneducated.

philio

I don't know if I do the right thing or not. Last time I came up on a biker was on a thin and busy country type road with a speed limit of 55 MPH. So I slowed down and stayed back until it was safe to pass. Should I have turned on my emergency lights?

MotorX

I don't like to ride in the rain, but sometimes it's necessary (my bike is the only way I have to get around). I try to watch my mirrors more and keep an eye out for cars who might not see me.

vroombaby

I wonder how many lives of both riders and bikes would be saved if others around knew how to actually drive near someone on a bike. Its not like they don't teach you how to drive near a CDL driver, why should a bike be different?

FenderBender

While I agree there are many drivers that don't pay enough attention to bikes on the road, I also think there are many motorcycle drivers who break the rules of the road and drive unsafely. I was driving out of a concert recently and there was a long line of motorcycles (it was a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert) exiting as well. Instead of waiting in line with the rest of traffic as they should have done they were cutting in and out of the lanes along with driving on the wrong side of the road.

Lamboguy

I'm not a fan of bikes in the first place, but in the rain I would never try riding. I probably would wipe out. I was going home from work in the rain the other day and there were 4 bikers under a bridge. That's too inconvenient for me also.