Blacked Out Tail Lights

NeedNewWheels

I gotta say that I really hate those blacked out tail lights. I was behind a car with them earlier and I could hardly see their lights at all. Are they even legal?

jumpinjacks

I am not sure. They are not legal in my state, but neither are neon lights that go under the car. I hate them as well, if they are backing out at night and you hit them, I say it is their fault for having them.

Dodge Doll

If visibility is the point, those covers negate it, don't they?

They look cool in the daylight, but as you found out, they're not so cool for the others on the road come nightfall. I think the laws need to include a 'percentage' of the lights that MUST be visible thru the covers, like, oh, say SEVENTY FIVE.

Midnight Tech

Administrator
I almost crunched the back of a Cadillac this morning that had the spray-on version....couldn't hardly see them even when I was right up on him.

Wini

I almost crunched the back of a Cadillac this morning that had the spray-on version....couldn't hardly see them even when I was right up on him.
Wow, I didn't know that there was a spray-on version!

They bother me as well. I just don't see the point in making it mandatory for all of us to have tail lights if we are allowed to cover them up at all. I would think that anything safety related should be standard. I love it when people have something about their car that is unique, but a safety feature shouldn't be used as a fashion statement.