Bugs in Air Vents

RoseRed

There's a giant cockroach in one of the air vents. It's just far back enough that I can't reach it and it's probably too large to pull through the vent openings anyway. Can I take the slats off somehow to get that bug out of there?

Ergal

I think you could remove them but be careful. Or, better yet, let some professionals take care of this. Whatever you do, don't use bug spray inside the vent.

leadfoot

Could you use a long pair of tweezers? Then if he's too big to come through the vent, you could always crush him up and vacuum him out. Sounds gross I know, but it might work.

smash

Yuk! We don't have cockroaches around here. How can you see it? How about a pair of needle nose pliers? They might be long enough to reach the dead bug.

RoseRed

It's close enough to see but not close enough to pull out with my fingers. The "professionals" who clean my car have always left it there. :( The tweezers or the needle nose pliers would probably work. Thanks!

FenderBender

The vents come out, it is just a slide clip. If you gently pull forward on the entire housing it should just pop out. Just try to be gently so you don't break the clip because it is just plastic. I just have to say ewww! I am so glad that we don't have cockroaches anywhere in my state, I have only ever seen them in pictures and that is fine by me.

RoseRed

Thanks, Fender. You don't have cockroaches? Really? I wonder what that is like. I've lived in several states in the midwest and south and cockroaches have always been around, although I admit they are more present here in the south.