Burnouts

RoadWarrior

What do people get out of doing burnouts? It's not good for the engine or transmission, and it eats up your tires. So what if you can make your tires smoke. I think mostly it's kids (teenagers) trying to show off their "muscle car." Once they have to replace a couple sets of tires and an engine, that usually teaches them, it's not as cool as they thought it was.

Always2gether

I think people just like doing it because it's a rush and they get to show off in front of other people. I know it's terrible on the car and the tires. I would personally never do it because I don't see the point. It's a waste of money.

SpdBump

I agree I think it's about showing off. Which is weird because I've never been that impressed by seeing it. I've seen someone loose control and slam into the light pole that was in the middle of the parking lot. Bet he didn't feel so cool after that lol.

Craig

It is just dumb, and can be dangerous. Another reason kids should not be able to drive, or start educating them way earlier. I don't mind the smell though :heh:

TBird65

I agree with everyone else. unless your are actually racing your car, burnouts are pointless. Why put you engine through it? The only logical reason for burning out is to gain better traction on the track

silverfox

It stems from youth, mostly. It is irresponsibilty and showing off. We have all gone through it at some point in our lives. When they get a taste of repair bills they will change their tune. Plus, when they get older they will think back and realize how dumb it really was.

vroombaby

I really do not do this anymore but the first time I get new tires on I do want to make sure I have the started and stopping power that I need and paid for. If I did this all the time I would be constantly replacing new tires, no thank you!

UGoGirl

A car is a powerful machine, and I think sometimes people just over-identify with their car and they want to just power trip just because they can.

MaximumSpeed

I honestly can not recall once when I did this on purpose. I have, however, done donuts, but that was on snow (never really tried on gravel, though I've heard it can be done).

Sweet16

My boyfriend does this ALL the time! I get so irritated with him, because it's just stupid. He seems to think it makes him look cool, or something.

RacecaR

Ah, this is where you heard of donuts! As for burnouts, I quit doing those when I became an adult. No purpose for 'em and they are a bit hard on the tires.

FiveSpeed

They're not just bad on the tires, they're bad on the engine, transmission, rear end, suspension and more. Kids (and some grown-ups) do it to try to impress others, but for me, it just shows immaturity.

SpeedyG

Yes, burnouts are hard on the engine, clutch, and tranny, but the excitement a set of shredded tires and billows of tire smoke give race fans is well worth it.

Lamboguy

I work at the end of a culdesac and you better believe a lot of people use it to leave prints from their tires on the ground. I think it's silly, but it's cool to see how well some of them can do it. I hate the smell though.