Buying a new (to me) car

DrivesMeCrazy

Ok, so I know I need to dispose of that other car. KBB.com seems to imply that I could get about $1k out of it, but that isn't really enough to get a decent replacement. I don't want a car payment. What do you think I should do?

Crissy

Well, if that is what it suggests in the kelly blue book then, I think you are out of luck. Even if you tried to sell it on Craigslist or to a dealership, people will look up the price of it in the KBB before buying. I think you just have to sell it for what you can, get a loan or save up, and buy a cheaper car.

Buyer

I agree-save up for it. If you don't want to take on a loan then really, this is the only option that you have open to you. It's the best option too in truth!

DrivesMeCrazy

Thanks. I guess I'll see what I can do for transportation until I have enough. Our town has a bus service of sorts, so maybe that will be sufficient. I might even decide I like it and not bother with a car for a while! LOL

Guy

How much were you wanting to spend and how much more would you need to add to the $1000 you can get? Interest rates on used cars seem about as low as they can be. Maybe the smallest possible loan would make sense.

Auto_Clueless

If you don't work too far from you house, you might consider a bicycle. I have a friend that has been biking to work for over two years, and he loves it. I have always thought that he is crazy because he even does it in the winter, but it works for him.

DrivesMeCrazy

I was hoping to find something for $1000, but when I started looking, I found that only clunkers were going for $1k (and they all needed lots of work). I think most drivable cars start at $2k minimum. I may go with a bicycle! I live in the south, so it doesn't get *that* cold most of the time even in the winter.

Testdriving

Thanks. I guess I'll see what I can do for transportation until I have enough. Our town has a bus service of sorts, so maybe that will be sufficient. I might even decide I like it and not bother with a car for a while! LOL
I love the idea of not having a car (and using public transport to commute) for awhile. Who knows that you would even get used to it, though it doesn't seems to be practicable.