Car Names

Opal

I know at one time, all the cars made were named after animals. Cars like mustang, cougar and buick are all names of animals. I just wonder where the car names come from today. Are prius and element ones that are just pulled out of the air or what?

smash

I don't know where the automakers get the names of the newer vehicles. It's not something I really have ever thought about. I bet they have a team of people sitting around a table tossing around names.

Opal

Lots of laughs here Smash. I can see it now. A bunch of little old men in dark suits sitting around a conference table throwing names around in hopes that something will sound good. Thanks for that mental picuture. I needed a good laugh to start my day!!

Taylor

I always figured it was the ad agencies. They have to stay on their feet to compete with each other. Trends in what's going on at the time with the target audience come into play as well.

Donnie

Some of my favorite car names are Mustang, Zephyr and Corvette. How did they came up with Corvette, I wonder? What are some of your favorite car names? It probably gets more difficult to come up with great names over time.

vroombaby

All of the vehicles I have owned kept the same name until they were replaced. I even tried to name my husband's vehicle once and he said that is just not going to happen. Within a week even the kids were calling his truck by it's "new name", he was not thrilled about it.

MaximumSpeed

I've often wondered where they got the names, too. Some of them are fun and cool (I like the Rendezvous, for instance), and others make no sense whatsoever (like the Xterra). Have you heard about the flop the Nova was in Mexico? "No va" in Mexican means "no go"!

kumkum

I don't know where the automakers get the names of the newer vehicles. It's not something I really have ever thought about. I bet they have a team of people sitting around a table tossing around names.
Same here, I haven't thought about it ever. Let me guess :high5: I think they pic car name on the fastest moving things in world, that is why the name came Ferrari.

Jerry

Nice to know about the many car names as according to your choice,but i like the most one which is Rolls Royce,its really an awesome car and made on order of the customer and according to its need and launch only some cars every year.Its very luxurious.I like it so much.