Car on a lease is dying

Rockett

We have a 92` Ford Tempo that has been diagnosed as needing a new motor. The thing is dying fast. The problem is we still owe 1,700 on the car and it`s probably only worth 1,000 even if there was nothing wrong with it. The motor, we were told would cost over 2,000 to replace. So we can`t sell it, drive it or even donate it, (since we still owe on it). Do any of you kind people have any ideas on how to get at least some money out of this car or to fix it for less than 500.00? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I would start with calling the junk yards. See if you can find a motor. When my t-bird needed a new motor I know it was more then $500 and that was about 10 years ago, with around 75,000 miles on the used motor. If you can find a working motor, try asking around for someone who would do the work as a side job.

lauren

Check both public and private junk yards, some people tend to hold onto things esp. of they like the idea of fiddling with things themselves. I found an old motor this way years ago for my moms car.

hotrod

I agree try the junk yards, but if you are unable to find a motor you can still part it out and sell the parts then sell the body to the scrap yard. I know my brother got $500 from his old car he took in that couldn't be repaired.

The junk yards are definitely the way to go on this deal. If you find the right one, some have mechanics who can actually install the motor for you and it will cost a whale lot less than taking it to someone else....I can assure you, some of those dudes know more than some mechanics do in regular shops.