Cassette deck works...

Dodge Doll

My one set of wheels is from the mid90's, and has a cassette deck in it that is actually working (as well as a CD player).

Every tape I've put into the machines in the house has been eaten in recent times... do I dare risk that happening to the cassette deck in my wheels ?

Leslie

You probably need to demagnetize the one in the house. I'm not sure how easy it will be to find a demagnetizer/cleaner nowadays, though. Cassettes are pretty much obsolete now.

MaximumSpeed

I'd probably try it with one that didn't matter much to me, first, before playing something I care about, since they are hard to replace nowadays.

Lizzie

I agree that you might want to try with one you don't care about. In my old car, I did try a cassette and it got messed up in no time. However, you need to find out. After all, what good is to have it if you can't use it. You need to know.

Jon

The material used in making cassettes degrades over time. What was once strong, quality material may now be brittle, soft and very fragile. I'd try an old casette that wasn't important before I'd try a good one. Better yet, replace that cassette player with a CD player.

vroombaby

I never even knew that cassettes were still around, its been years since I have seen any. The closest thing we have in our place is one older stereo that still has a double cassette set, and we actually found one single cassette tape in the attic a few weeks ago clearing things out for good will.

Wini

I still have some old cassette tapes around the house but no cassette player unfortunately. I wish I had a car that had one just to relive some memories. Some of my tapes are mixes I recorded as a kid.

Lamboguy

You can still buy a cassette player in certain stores. I ended up buying a bookshelf stereo system for the purpose of being able to play all of my tapes I still had in a box. It only cost me 38 bucks.

SpeedyG

I had a bunch of old cassette tapes from my childhood, but on a whim I threw them all away one day. I immediately regretted the decision the next day, but it was too late. Too bad, I had a lot of really great tapes.

Guy

Is there any particular reason you decided not to upgrade the cassette technology? Unless there is some sentimental reason to stay with cassettes, I'd just go with CDs.

Lamboguy

Is there any particular reason you decided not to upgrade the cassette technology? Unless there is some sentimental reason to stay with cassettes, I'd just go with CDs.
If it is sentimental, I can understand that. Sometimes we just don't want to let go of things that give us good memories. I wouldn't keep them in my car, but like I said earlier, a stereo at home is the way to go for me. I just can't part with all those tapes I made.

NeedNewWheels

I haven't used a cassette deck in years. I have actually never even owned a car that had a cassette deck in it. Tapes are so cheap and easy to find now that I wish I had one just for nostalgia.

FiveSpeed

I think I've replaced and thrown out all my old music casettes, but I still have about ten casette tapes that I made through the years (childhood mostly) of people talking. I know they're no good but I just can't part to throw them out. Such memories.

Alexus

Even when my cassette players should have been working, they never really worked well. I don't know why, but I always noticed a lag in the music on a car cassette player.

GTO4me

Car cassette player

Who would have thought all those cassette tapes would be obsolete so soon? I have all these great tapes and nothing to play them on any more except my old car with the only tape player we still own. Everything's gone to CDs and mp3s. I don't want to to give up my tapes yet.

Hotrod25

You can always try it. Heck I don't even own any cassettes anymore. They got tossed when CDs came out. I don't own too many CDs either, I use the iPod.