Cheap Tips That Work

SpeedyG

I know that you can use fabric softener sheets to get dried bugs off of the paint and grill of your car. Does anyone have any other useful tricks or detailing tips?

Hotrod25

I use old t-shirts to wash and dry my car. They are soft and they are free. I never heard of using softener sheets - great tip. I hope more people post more tips.

Guy

I once read of using basic shaving cream (not gel type) as an upholstery cleaner. I have never tried it, but the person who recommended it swore by it.

Hotrod25

I don't think I would like the smell of shaving cream in my car. I can't stand the smell in my house. I wonder if it works though. Has anyone tried it before? I'm thinking it might take the color out of the rugs.

FenderBender

Wow, I never heard of using dryer sheets for bugs either. Thanks for sharing that because where I am from, bugs on the front are an issue.

vroombaby

Depending on the type of stain and the type of fabric I have used Spot Shot (its normally for just carpets in the house) to use in the car. It has worked in a pinch when we had baby bottles that spill, or soda from us.

FiveSpeed

Guy, I think it was me that suggested foamy shaving cream to clean the upholstery, and it does work! I would check a hidden area first to make sure it doesn't change the color.

Another tip: Old mesh onion bags are great at scrubbing away bugs from the front of the car. Dampen it first (you don't want to dry scrub the paint) and scrub (not too hard) the bugs off. Redampen if necessary.

AWOL

I wish I had some cheap and useful tricks to add to this because I've enjoyed reading them, but I don't. I will definitely have to try the dryer sheets because we get a lot of bugs here too.

FiveSpeed

If your car has a wide gap between the seat and the console (or the passenger seat) and you're always dropping your phone or other things down there, here's a tip: Roll up an old towel and place it in the gap. Presto! No more lost cell phones! You can cut the towel to size.