Consumer Reports calls Lexus GX 460 unsafe

jason

Administrator
Staff member
NEW YORK — Consumer Reports has given the Lexus GX 460 SUV a rare "Don't Buy" warning, saying a problem that occurred during routine handling tests could lead to a rollover accident in real-world driving.
In the latest blow to Toyota's reputation, the magazine said that during a test of the vehicle's performance during unusual turns, the rear of the vehicle slid until it was nearly sideways before the electronic stability control system kicked in.
Consumer Reports said in real-world driving, such a scenario could cause a rollover accident. As a result, the magazine has given the seven-seat SUV a "Don't Buy: Safety Risk" label until the problem is fixed.
"In a real world situation, by that time, the car can hit the curb or the side of the road and that's the situation where, in a vehicle like that, it could cause it to roll over," said Gabriel Shenhar, senior auto test engineer at Consumer Reports, who was one of four testers to experience the problem.

Read more http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gd7Qz2RjEfPjm2JYLVp-I38NzbZgD9F28G100

Miata_Matyr

Wow... I thought Toyota's problems couldn't get any worse. I wish our stupid Government (Australia)didn't give them $30million to put towards a making a greener car... Why didn't they give the money to an Australian car manufacturer??

roller

Thanks for the heads up. What is Toyota doing about this problem? I think they are relying so much on the computer designs of the cars that they don't try it before selling it to the public.

Alex

I thought the safety recalls and public hysteria were enough- but now Lexus! This might be even more damaging to Toyota's profits as this is there luxury car range, also people might not have grouped the to together...

RedHot

Are these companies just blindly building this rolling bricks? It seems like now they don't care what happens to the people who buy their cars, all they want is the money. There are enough accidents without the ones caused by the manufacturers.

chillen

A buddy of mine in NV, actually him and his ex both drive "only" Lexus as in they would never think to drive anything else. I wonder if his ex will rethink this since her daughter is learning how to drive now...