Dead Car

MyMotor

I took my fuel inefficient car in for a service and check up. There is severe corrosion to the frame, and it is actually split in one place, next to where the suspension joins it.

It's a sad day, my car is off to the scrap yard :rip:

Kohn

You mean there's a corrosion to the frame of the engine, with a split in one place of the engine? I'm a bit confused. Anyhow, whatever that corroded part is, even it that is the engine, that part can be replaced. I have this impression that the rest of your car is still doing great, but correct me if I'm wrong.

MyMotor

The front subframe. Yes it could be replaced, I could get a new subframe. But the work would be costly and there is a lot more than needs doing. The poor economy was due to a leak in a fuel line, and the handbrake is seized on one side. There is other rust to the subframe at the rear, it goes deep and is making it structurally very weak. The other side, opposite is corroding but not as bad-it still has plenty of substance but won't last long.

There is rust on the body work too, and unfortunately we never went any further with the service, and so there may be other things. It would cost a lot to repair, I'd be better off with a newer car. This is the peril of living in a northern town, with heaps of snow, and associated salt for a few years in the car's younger days.

Mustang37

Oh what a sad day! I hate it when I have to retire a car. Hey think of it this way, you had it for how long and it was a good car right? So the car had a good life... man now it sounds like I'm talking about a person.

CherryRed

So are you going to be getting a fuel efficient car now? I'm know for riding my cars hard and into the ground before the payments are done with. The longest I've had a car is the one I have right now. I've had it for almost 6 years now. I'm sorry for your loss and good luck on your search for a replacement.

Kohn

Oh, so it's the frame! Well it has to retire indeed. A mechanic told me that while technically the corroded part of the frame can be removed and replaced, that won't guarantee structural soundness at all. First of all, the welded part would definitely become a weak link. Secondly, the replacement wouldn't necessarily become as strong as the rest.

Mustang is right. Do that car a favor by letting it retire :) That would keep you safe in the road as well.

MyMotor

You can buy a new subframe actually, and fit the whole thing. It's not that hard for a person with a bit of know-how. Unfortunately that's not me. I'll be selling for spares or repair, as she has a wonderful engine, brand new exhaust, new tires and so on.