Dealer keys?

coup

I made a spare key for my car but it only unlocks the doors. When I put it in the ignition it will not turn. Does this mean the key has to have an electronic chip in it or something?

daddysmonkey

Interesting - I imagine you could be right about the electronic chip. How useless! I know that there are a couple of key shops here that advertise copying dealer keys with chips; this must be what they are talking about!

Chandler

Yeah, they're a pain in the tookus. You have to have that stupid chip in the key in order to unlock the steering column. I think they did that mainly to make it harder to copy keys and prevent theft. Or they did it just because you have to go back to the dealer to get it done and it costs more.

Midnight Tech

Administrator
I made a spare key for my car but it only unlocks the doors. When I put it in the ignition it will not turn. Does this mean the key has to have an electronic chip in it or something?
What kind of car is it coup?

I've made keys for the newer cars that have the chip - they will usually allow the ignition to unlock but not start the car. They'll take one of these keys and put it in their wallet in case they lock the chipped key in the car...:shocked:.

General

I've made keys for the newer cars that have the chip - they will usually allow the ignition to unlock but not start the car. They'll take one of these keys and put it in their wallet in case they lock the chipped key in the car....
This is exactly what I have done, Midnight. The key will only unlock the doors, and this allows me to unlock the car, without having to call my wife to bring the extra set of keys.

dartmobile

I wasn't aware that most new cars won't start without a special key that has a chip. Can you purchase more keys for your car that will start the motor? I have a second set, but I wonder now, as my car was bought used, if that set is really a working set or not.

AllenWrench

Yeah, You can have more made at the dealer but they are expensive. I would try the other set and see what happens. People do get them made but for the cost, I'd just as soon do what General and Midnight have done and use the spare for unlocking the doors to get to the set with the chip.

philio

Yeah they are a pain. I do have an extra set to open the door. I only have one key that will start the car and I should get another one made. I just hate to have to go to the dealer to get it done so I keep putting it off.