Detailing - pay someone or do it yourself?

Big Al

How many of you detail your car and how many pay to have someone do it for you? I prefer to do it myself so I know exactly what's been done. It takes time but when I step back and look at my car I know it's been done right.

spaz

I normally do it myself because I'm picky beyond belief. To be honest, I actually enjoy spending a few hours doing this once a month or so. Everyone leaves me alone because they're afraid of getting drafted to help.:heh:

CharlieBrown

Yeah, this is really a do-it-yourself type of job. Once per month, a couple hours, just the car and you. You really learn a lot about your car by spending a couple hours going over it. And it's nice when you're done to sit back and say, "Man, that car looks good!"

Tony

I like to take the time and do it right instead of letting someone else do it. Takes time to do it but it's my car and it deserves it.

Pete

I'm too lazy. I'd rather spend the money and have someone else do it for me. I'm just not patient enough to do it.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I do it myself. I've seen too many people who think they know what they are doing that it is hard for me to trust someone right now. I had a friend who had his car detailed and they broke the side mirror somehow. I've seen paint jobs scratched and filled with spider web marks in the paint. If I do it, I feel better about knowing how it went.

vroombaby

I do a little of both but it depends on what the occasion is too. We cleaned everything out the other weekend and unless its for a major event we will normally do it ourselves. Plus its cheaper.

Under normal circumstances, I would just pay someone else to do it for me, because it's not a job I enjoy doing. However, we are down to one income in our household right now, so paying someone else to detail our car is not a luxury we can afford. We're having to do it ourselves until we both start working again and can afford to pay someone else to do it for us.

Hotrod25

I try to do it myself too. Money is too tight to pay someone to detail my car. I do go about once a year though and have it done professionally. My kids help with this now though, and I pay them.