Diesel fuel

Guy

I can't believe that diesel fuel is 50 cents a gallon more than regular unleaded fuel. Diesel used to always be much less than unleaded didn't it?

SpeedyG

Yes, it did. Up until the past 5 years when gas prices started skyrocketing, diesel was always cheaper and rightfully so. Its more crude state required less filtering and cleaning so it was always cheaper. However, recent laws require adding an extra additive to diesel fuel for environmental reasons I think. Anyone know more on the matter?

AWOL

I remember when diesel was cheaper. I remember back in the day when I was paying $1.39 a gallon and looking over at diesel for 10-15 cents cheaper thinking "Man! I wish I drove a diesel!" Those were the good old days!! Now I'm thrilled that we are 7 cents away from being under $3 a gallon for the first time in over a year!

Lamboguy

Maybe they are just exploiting the fact that truckers have no choice but to pay more for the diesel gas so they can charge what they want for it. AWOL, you're lucky, I'm still paying around $3.30 a gallon where I live. I was hoping it would keep going down but it's been stuck in the same range for a while.

AWOL

Lamboguy, we don't have a gas tax here in New Jersey, so my gas is always cheaper. I live 3 miles from NY state where the gas is about 25 cents more a gallon. We were at $3.11 for the longest time, but this past week it dropped to $3.07. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we hit $2.99 before it starts to creep back up. It's so nice to fill up my tank for under $50!

Alexus

I don't use diesel, so I guess I don't pay it much attention. But I always thought diesel was cheaper, too. Well, when people actually start using things, prices seem to go up instead of down, strangely.