Divorce and car question

sharky

If you get divorced from someone and you get the vehicle in the divorce, and you ask the person to sign it over and they won't, what do you do? Can you just go to the DMV with the divorce papers and get their name off the title?

Midnight Tech

Administrator
I'd contact my lawyer and let him hash it out - if ordered by the judge to give the car up, not signing it over is a violation of the court order.

coup

Yeah, I would do something about it. If you do nothing and the other person gets in debt that could cause a problem. It would suck to get your car taken away because of debt of your ex.

Dodge Doll

The ex is stalling, and trying to stave off the inevitable... and perhaps a little maliciousness in causing grief is part of things.

Go see your lawyer, get the paperwork in order, and send the damned bailiffs for the wheels. YOU the ex will argue with.... go ahead and argue with a bailiff during a seizure, I dare ya... :)

vroombaby

I think the dmv will tell you to turn around and go to the courts, no one can really settle that unless you both do or its done through arbitration. I think the same applies for other things that are fairly large (home of course, boats, etc.).

HANG

It depends on what the judge ordered in the case. Speak to your divorce attorney. If he is already out of contact with you, try to get back into reach with him. An attorney is the best bet to help you with this, not the DMV - we know how much they suck!

philio

From what the first post says, if you got it in the divorce and they refuse to sign it over then THEY are the ones who are breaking the law. You can't just go around ignoring court orders.