Don't use the A/C!

Lizzie

I wouldn't be able to survive without the AC. I save in other places so I can have AC in my car and in the house. I specially can't drive with the windows down in the highway or I feel my ears are about to explode. Let's not talk about allergies or the just plain stickiness.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, when you have the windows open and the A/C off in today's cars it creates so much drag that you use more gas with the windows open. I still enjoy it sometimes but contrary to what you would believe, the gas usage is down with windows up and A/C on.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/will-rolling-down-windows-save-fuel-or-not.aspx

"When you're driving across town, in stop-and-go traffic," says Frank Hampshire, director of market research with the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association, or AASA, "it's more fuel efficient to drive with the air conditioning off, windows down."

"But as your speed increases to 45 mph, or highway speeds," says Jason Toews, co-founder of GasBuddy.com, "wind drag becomes an issue. Driving with the windows down increases the drag on your vehicle, resulting in decreased fuel economy by up to 10 percent. Drive at speeds over 55 mph with windows down and you'll decrease fuel economy by up to 20 percent or greater."

HANG

Is it really that much of an effect on your MPG if you turn the AC off/on or use windows instead? I don't think it can be that much... and as for my AC usage, I use mine all the time. From April to November pretty much. I have allergies so opening the window distracts me when I drive.

silverfox

I usually run my AC and crack a window at the same time. On nice days, I seldom turn it on. I do not think I would get much drag with a cracked window. Anyway, I never have to drive very far to worry about drag.

Smooth

I used to live in Florida. When it was summer there was no way I would turn off the A/C. Cars get way too hot and when its 95 degrees outside with no clouds in the sky my car would feel like 110 degrees without A/C going.

silverfox

I have lived in Florida since 1958, and yes, an AC is a must. It seems to get hotter every year, too. The only thing I don't like is having the AC vent blowing directly on me. Then I get too cold.

MaximumSpeed

I'm in the south, but one of our vehicles does not have a/c. When we replaced the engine a while back, the replacement engine was just a little different and the a/c system no longer fit properly. I am thankful the windows roll down!

Hotrod25

I agree... I always have my windows down and that irritates my husband. I have the A/C on and windows down all the time. I know it's a waste of gas and a waste of cold air but I do it.