Donuts?

Sweet16

Someone in the burnout thread said something about "doing donuts". What does that mean? Snow was mentioned, too, and I don't live where we get snow.

RacecaR

Donuts are what you get on the snow when you spin your car around 360º. I haven't done it in a very long time, but when I was a teenager, it was great sport.

MaximumSpeed

Yes, RacecaR is correct. It involves driving a car (rear-wheel drive) on snow, then yanking the wheel while hitting the gas. This throws the car into a slide which takes it a full circle. It can be done with a front-wheel drive, but you have to go in reverse.

Hotrod25

Donuts are so much fun... although I don't do them anymore. I used to do donuts in the parking lots late at night in the snow. What a rush! It was so much fun - I did this when I was a teenager!

AWOL

It's also fun to do J turns. Now that is great to practice in a vast empty parking lot...especially if you're driving a police issue Dodge Charger and have the light bar on. ;)

NeedNewWheels

I never heard it being done in the snow, I thought it was just an 360 in a parking lot or something. I've never done one before and hopefully am not in the car when somebody decides to try one out for themselves.

Sweet16

Wow, that sounds really scary! Is it dangerous? It sounds like it would be easy for the car to get out of control. Is that true?

vroombaby

Donuts are fun, I tell my husband each time I am out shopping for the family I do them in the parking lot. This in my car and his truck, you should see the looks he gives me for it. ;)

Sweet16

Huh. Who knew? I'll have to ask my dad about that (I think my mom would probably have a cow - and maybe kittens, too). Thanks for the answers!

Lamboguy

Donuts are great! I remember doing them during the winter when I lived in Michigan as a teen. There was a huge parking lot where we'd go. The problem was when I was on the road trying to stop and I ended up spinning in traffic. Thankfully I didn't hit anyone. There are people that do them at the end of my culdesac where I work. They just burn their tires on the pavement though.

Bentley

Doing "donuts" seems to be a favorite pass time of many teenagers (even some adults) during the winter months when there is a lot of snow in a vacant parking lot. It's when the car physically goes around 360 degrees. I could and will never do it with my current car...there's too much of a chance for something to go wrong!