Drivers test, parallel parking

coup

When you take the drivers test here you have to do a manuvrability test that involves 5 orange cones. Is there anyplace that still does parallel parking on the drivers test?

philio

I think the whole US goes by similar standards. I have not heard of anyplace still doing parallel parking. If I had to do that on a test I would fail, because I am really bad at parallel parking.

Chandler

When we did our parking test we parked between two parked cars! And they weren't official cars either. Talk about putting on the pressure! I did it correctly the first time so I was shocked but I did it.

AllenWrench

Me too Chandler. We had to drive in traffic in the middle of town and we also had to stop, back into a street and turn at a spot designated by the officer. It was tough to take back then.

Lizzie

It was such a long time ago that I did my test that I don't even remember. The only thing I remember is that I was very relieved I passed it the first time around. I will find the answer to this question in a couple of years when my kids get to take the test.

Chevy_Lover

The testing in my state is done at the motor vehicles parking lot. They do not use actual cars only the orange cones. With so many incompetent drivers, I don't even want to imagine how horrible it would to have people do their test to the actual streets of the city.

HondaMan

Parallel parking is not hard, most people have just not been taught the proper procedure (yes, there is a procedure). While training to drive for Greyhound, we had to parallel park 45 foot long buses. It was easy.

minyoung

I love parallel parking! But yes I admit it was hard when I studied how to do it. I recommend you practice parallel parking. You can park almost anywhere with that skill. Imagine the peace of mind that gives you.

Car Hop

Now they have cars to parallel park for us, but yes, I had to do it to get my driver's license. I've rarely used the skill, though.

Gomera

Wow, you have to go around cones? Is that new? Maybe I'm just old but all we did was drive around a bit and yes, parallel park, too. That was it.