Dumb question

66Notchback

I saw a wicked set of old wheels out on the road yesterday, a Hemi 'Cuda, no less...

But I had to wonder, if that's the original engine (and it sure sounded like it was), that engine was meant to run LEADED gasoline... does the owner have to add a lead additive or something to the fuel to run it?

TopGear

Some will be able to run on unleaded. Some will need an additive. Some will run, but the valve seats will eventually wear back. You can fix this by having hard-alloy valve seat inserts installed-the car should then run ok, but may need a higher octane fuel.

Dodge Doll

Some will be able to run on unleaded. Some will need an additive. Some will run, but the valve seats will eventually wear back. You can fix this by having hard-alloy valve seat inserts installed-the car should then run ok, but may need a higher octane fuel.
I'd say someone really knows their machinery, TopGear!!

Interesting question, and one I didn't know the answer to: I appreciate that someone DID know the answer, and THANK YOU for sharing!

ChevyColorado

Well, I had never even thought of this issue. I know old cars ran on leaded, but never considered that you can't get it anymore. Two points for making my brain happy! :high5:

Last edited: