Easy Fix For Check Engine Light

bjstorm

I always get stressed when I see the check engine light go on. Usually it costs more than I want to spend. But I finally had one that was a quick fix. I'd had to replace my gas cap recently and this one is harder to screw on fully. The last time I'd filled up, the cap came off way too easily so I knew it hadn't been screwed on properly. After my next fill-up, the check engine light came on. When I looked in my manual, a loose gas cap was one thing to check for. I tightened the cap and the light went out shortly thereafter. Whew!

Last edited:

Naptime

BJ, I had the same problem awhile back and had to get a new gas cap. The new one is really hard to get on especially since I have carpal tunnel and can't grip it tightly. Plus I don't like that this one is not attached to the car so the chances of losing it or forgetting to put it on are huge.

striker

Wow, I didn't know the check engine light could come on because your gas cap is loose! This is great information, I'm going to go check my manual next time I'm in my car. This also explains why the check engine light comes on sometimes and then is gone the next week and I never understand why it was there and then went away!

Aces

Check engine light

This is dynamite information. I hate that check engine light and always panic. I know I've paid for things to be fixed that were not broken. Maybe the folks at unscrupulous repair shops know this trick and check to see if your gas cap is the problem, fix it, and charge you for an expensive repair they "make" elsewhere.

FenderBender

Mine has been on for a few days but I haven't had time to run to the shop and have it checked out. I am not super concerned about it though because I just had a bunch of work done.

ZoomZoom

Most of the time that the check engine light comes on, it's an emissions-related issue. The first thing to check should always be the gas cap. If vapors escape your gas cap, it'll set off the check engine light every time. Faulty catalytic converters (covered under warranty for many more miles than the basic warranty) and oxygen sensors also will set off the check engine light.

03altima

Well I think it's great that you only had to tighten the gas cap to get the check engine light to go away. I haven't had as much luck when my check engine light has come on in the past, though. Like ZoomZoom mentioned above, when mine came on, it ended up being a faulty catalytic converter, but it was no longer under warranty, so it cost me more to fix it than I even made at work that day. :~(

Hotrod25

I thought that this was my problem too on my last car. I bought a new gas cap but it did not do the trick. We never found out what the problem was. I was lucky enough to sell the car!