Electric Cars

Chevy_Lover

Do any of you have an electric car? How does it perform in highways? I am concern that they don't have the power at high speed. They are saying that the new electric car doesn't have to recharge for 80 to 100 miles. I am just a little doubtful.

Brent

I don't have an electric car but I would love to. I wouldn't really care about the maximum speed it could run at as I am not a fast driver myself.

Auto_Clueless

I would also love an electric car. The gas prices are starting to move toward the ridiculous again. I really doubt that the manufacturers are moving fast enough toward really affordable green cars. This would mean that some rich folks wouldn't get as rich.

DNADriver

Count me in too, I'd just love one. I love the idea, but really, the charging issues make them impractical. Once there are more charging stations around, and the charging time has been cut, I'll consider one.

Testdriving

I would also love an electric car. The gas prices are starting to move toward the ridiculous again. I really doubt that the manufacturers are moving fast enough toward really affordable green cars. This would mean that some rich folks wouldn't get as rich.
Yeah that's true. They said that the gas prices are rising beyond the psychological prices, which is not good news. I wish I could afford an electric car.

Eugene

I almost bought a used hybrid Ford Escape a couple of years ago. Sometimes I wish I had, but it was only the second year of that model, and I didn't want to risk having to work some bugs out with new technology.

Brent

Well, a hybrid car is a different story. Using a hybrid instead of a regular car wouldn't save you a lot of money on gas. At least that's what I read in an article.

Donald

Count me in too, I'd just love one. I love the idea, but really, the charging issues make them impractical. Once there are more charging stations around, and the charging time has been cut, I'll consider one.
I agree about the lack of charging stations in some areas. I think that's the main reason that electric cars are not practical for many people. I've heard that the charging time has been reduced on some of the new electric cars, so that's good progress. However, if your area doesn't have many charging stations, electric cars are still not a realistic option.

As for hybrid cars Brent, it must depend on the model. My mom has a Toyota Prius that gets awesome gas mileage. She saves a ton of money on gas, it's incredible how far you can get on one tank.

HANG

I think you could just charge them at home. I don't really think that it will run out of power in normal operations. If you are going long distance, you can find a charging station at a truck stop I am sure.

Lamboguy

Electric cars sound great and all, but won't the cost of electricity to constantly charge the car make up for the gas money costs? Also, what if you run out of electricity or get low and you aren't near your home and need to be out still? You can't just go and get an instant charge like you can with a gas station.

HANG

The cost of electricity for a car is probably way different than that of a gas station. I think you can probably get away with a lot less money charged. As for actually running out while you're out there driving, I don't know.