Fear of tunnels

Hotrod25

I am trying to plan a 3 day trip to NYC and I have just been told there is a big tunnel that I will have to drive through. Holy cow! I'm already freaking. I hate tunnels. I don't mind being a passenger and going through them but I hate driving through them. Eeek... I know I can do it but I'm not looking forward to it.

FenderBender

Hotrod, having been there myself you can take one of several bridges instead of taking the Holland tunnel. The George Washington bridge will take you to the same place and basically runs on top of the tunnel.

Hotrod25

That sounds like a better deal to me than driving through a tunnel. Anyone know how long the bridge or tunnel is (mile wise)? I'm not sure as I've never been to NYC. This trip is beginning to be more of a pain.

I like FenderBender's suggestion of passing over the bridge instead of driving through a tunnel if it makes you nervous, however I am just the opposite and would rather go through the tunnel than over the bridge!

Hotrod25

To be honest here, I don't like big bridges or tunnels. I have to choose one or the other though or I am stuck in Upstate NY. I am also considering taking a train into the city and leaving my car.

I like that idea, Hotrod25. I would much rather take public transportation than worry about tunnels or bridges. Also, if public transportation there is anything like it is here, you'll come out cheaper if it's going to be a long trip!

Hotrod25

Agreed and I won't have to fight the traffic or try to find parking. I heard it is crazy expensive to park in NYC. Of course you have to be able to find a safe place to park.

FenderBender

Public transit is definitely the way to go. It is near impossible to navigate through traffic and parking is expensive. I usually park outside the city and take the train in. It costs around $5 per person and parking at the stations is pretty cheap if not free.

vroombaby

If you are going through the one in PA its a fun one, I remember it as a child with our trips when I was a child visiting family. I really do not like them either but its a part of driving. The only thing worse thing for me other than tunnels are bridges.

Hotrod25

Fender - Is it safe to leave your vehicle at the train depot for 3 days? I'm thinking of taking the train in to the city but also staying in the city for 3 days. I would not want anything to happen to the car when I was in NYC.

Pete

Hotrod, I can totally empathize with you. All I have to do is think about your drive and my claustrophobia kicks in. I can handle short tunnels but long ones unnerve me.

Calvin

Tunnels

I don't like driving in tunnels either, but I can handle them. I just make darned sure I stay in my lane. I've driven the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel about a dozen times. It's kind of neat, but it is demanding of the driver. At least there's a place to stop in the middle and get out a bit.

isis1

I have only driven through a tunnel once in my life. It scared the daylights out me. All those lights and cars, I could hardly see anything else. After I got through that tunnel I pulled over shaking like a leaf and told my husband he could drive. I will never do that again.

RoseRed

I've never driven through a tunnel myself but see how it could be nervewracking. If I had to drive, I'd take the GWB, but in a large city like NYC, I prefer to take public transportation.