Finding "that" smell

Naptime

I got into my car today and there is an awful mystery smell that I just can't find the source of. Have you ever had this happen? Did you find the source or get rid of the smell?

Wildman

Yes, I did and it wasn't pleasant. I finally found that the car had a leak around the seal of the front windshield, and it was dripping down into the front passenger compartment. The floor was soggy when I found it and I'd been looking for the problem for a while. The carpet had mold and mildew under it on the padding and that was the smell. I had to take the carpet out, let it dry and shampoo it, replace the padding and wash the carpet. I let it all dry and then reinstalled the carpet. I had to seal the windshield too. It was a mess.

FenderBender

Wildman, that is just nasty. I am glad that you were able to fix it but I really hope that never happens to me.

I had it happen once and I figured out that it was a piece of McDonald's cheeseburger that one of the kids I watch shoved down in between the seats . It was so disgusting but easily removed.

RoseRed

Yes, but fortunately mine was also food-related, so it was much easier to clean than the problem Wildman had. I hope you discover the source soon, Naptime, and it's an easy fix.

Naptime

I still haven't figured it out but I do know it isn't a window leakage issue. Thank goodness, that would be terrible. I am still digging through the seats to try to figure out what it is.

classicjuju

Don't forget to check under the hood and in the trunk. I've had food fall out of the bags taking it home from the store and get hidden behind the jack or my toolbox. Not always nasty but when it turns out to be meat or something like that, it can get really gross and it will permeate the car.

Wildman

You guys remember the scene in one of the "Grouchy Old Men" movies where Jack Lemmon put a dead fish in Walter Matthau's car? I crack up everytime I watch that scene.