Flushing The Coolant

I bought my car back in January of 2010, so I've had it for 3 years this month. Since I've had it, I've never flushed the coolant, and I bought it used, so I don't even know when the last owner flushed the coolant. How often is this supposed to be done?

smash

Good question. I don't really know but I know my dad does it every year. I think that is a bit much. I think my hubby does it every couple of years.

Opal

You're supposed to do that? Oh my! I guess that's something else on my list to ask the mechanic. Is this a major operation? How expensive is it? I know mine has never been done so it's probably way overdue.

Opal - Yes, you are supposed to flush the coolant every so often, but for the life of me, I can't remember how frequently. It goes by mileage, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think it's really a "major" operation, but it's probably a lot messier than changing the oil, because there's so much more fluid involved. I'm not sure about how expensive it is, either.

MaximumSpeed

I have to agree with Opal... I didn't know, either. I can't remember ever flushing the coolant. Adding, yes. Flushing, not offhand. I should probably check into that.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
You know I've never seen any exact amount of time for this. I think a lot depends on driving conditions. I know you can purchase a PH level litmus test at most auto parts stores to test it.

I have heard every 50,000 miles, and I've heard ever year, or every other year. Most of it will be driving conditions and weather in your area. Really hot summers or really cold winters will have an effect on it.

kumkum

You can flush your coolant in every 2 or 3 years. If it is extended life coolant than you can flush it every 5 year. Coolant are acidic in nature and can erode the gaskets and becomes the main reason for coolant leaking so do take care of such thing.