Foreign vs Domestic

hotrod

I am just playing Devil's advocate here but would you or have you ever bought a foreign car? If so why did you buy it? Is the quality as good as they make it out to be. Do you think it is going against the grain to buy foreign in this time of economic uncertainty where tens of thousands of American autoworkers are loosing their jobs and the Big 3 almost crumbled?

coup

I own a Honda, it is one of the best vehicles I have ever had. I have owned it for many a year now. If it does ever go bad I would by a car made in my own country to try to support the economy.... but I still love Honda.

I own a Honda CRV and the only reason I purchased it this time around was that GM (the year I purchased it) stopped making the Pontiac Vibe 4 wheel drive and I needed a 4 wheel drive crossover. The next year, they started it making the 4 wheel Pontiac again, but I had already purchased my car. Then, this year, they quit making totally.

Honda is a great car and I love it, but I would not hesitate to purchase a GM the next time around. They also make great cars, so purchase a GM or Ford if you can, but if they don't have what you want, then purchasing a foreign car is fine also. I also have owned Toyota and Ford products and both are excellent quality. The only ones I don't like are the Chrysler products.

JeepersCreepers

I have never owned a foreign car I just wondered if they are as good as everyone says. I always here tons of great stuff about Honda and I would consider buying one if my Chevy ever dies.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I know there will be some backlash against this with their recent issues, but... Toyota's are produced in America. In fact, Toyota just hired more American workers for their Tacoma line. Most American manufactures are now in Mexico or Canada.

When I was looking at trucks last year, I had started out wanting the Ford F150. However, two things had my buy a Toyota Tundra. I wanted a 6.5 foot bed, and rear doors that opened normally. I did not want to have to open the front doors, then open the back doors. Anyone ever trying to put stuff in the back of the truck in a parking lot, knows why I was against that. Toyota is one of the few that offers their double cab/king cab with the rear doors like I wanted. With the F150, I would have to spend more money, get the Crew Cab, which either shortens the bed to around 5 feet, or spend more still and get the 8 foot bed. With the 8 foot bed, we are talking a vehicle length of over 20 feet. Yeah, try parking that. The other plus on the Tundra was the storage. Every available spot they put some sort of storage option in there. Great for trips with the wife and kids.

I agree with this one. That is the reason I purchased a Honda last time for an SUV 4 x 4 crossover. GM didn't offer what I wanted and I don't regret making the change from GM to the Honda. Next time around, I will again compare what is there to what I personally need just as you did Jason.