Get a Second Opinion

MyMotor

I've learned a hard lesson. My car is not dead at all.

It was not the subframe that was corroded, but the sills and a subframe mount. I took a look myself, and got a second opinion based on what I saw.

So the mechanic was full of it. A $25 part will replace the mount-no welding but a proper repair. The sills can be patched. I'll never really trust a mechanic again.

DNADriver

That's a bit of a difference really isn't it. What a shame-the garage has now upset a customer and potentially lost a customer who could have put a lot of business their way-it never makes sense.

Byker

I don't know why a mechanic would mislead a customer like that. It's a good lesson for all of us to get a second opinion on matters like that. Too bad that they probably lost your business.

MyMotor

I've since learned that these guys have a real bad reputation for ripping people off-my neighbor was ripped off by them for work on the exact same car as mine was. I'm thankful that I found out.

DNADriver

Are you male or female? Sorry to ask, only it seems that the scamming at shops seems to occur more frequently with women. The mechanics seem to think that they can get away with it, so they take advantage.

I don't know why a mechanic would mislead a customer like that. It's a good lesson for all of us to get a second opinion on matters like that. Too bad that they probably lost your business.
Unfortunately, that is more common than one thinks it is. There are so many out there waiting to "get" someone that it makes you sick to think about it. Buyer or customer beware!