Getting hurricane backlash

FenderBender

So it seems odd to me but even as far west as Michigan, we are getting backlash from the hurricane. We have a high wind advisory in effect for the next 2 days citing wind gusts in excess of 50 MPH. I can't imagine how much worse it is for the people that are actually in the path of this storm. How many others are being indirectly affected by Hurricane Sandy?

Last edited:

RoseRed

That is odd. I would guess that the hurricane is interacting with other air masses to create the high winds you are experiencing. The wind field for the hurricane is pretty large, but I didn't think it was that large.

Otto Von

I had no idea that Hurricane Sandy was affected people in states that far inland. That's pretty surprising! I'm in Pennsylvania, so we got hit pretty good. I have some family in New Jersey...not sure how they are doing, but we are all hoping for the best.

Ben

I think there was an arctic blast coming down. The Jet Stream was involved, too, and when the hurricane tropical winds joined in, it was like hitting the fast features on the garden hose. Everything was amplified. You must be receiving some of that. We've finally had the winds die down in NC, and I heard birds this morning. No sun yet.

RoseRed

Otto Von, have you heard from your family yet? I hope they are ok.

There was definitely cold air coming down. Sandy even drew it down to here in Florida, so we had some unseasonably cool weather. It was pretty nice after a hot summer though.

FenderBender

Rose, it did join with several other air masses but the wind field of the hurricane itself was over 1,000 miles wide. When I looked at the weather radar you could actually see where the outside edge of the hurricane was over Michigan after it made landfall. We ended up getting a weird winter mix of high winds, sleet and rain for about 2 days.

smash

We were in the high winds path of destruction too. We did not get hit as bad as were supposed to. Thank God! There are still a lot of people without power.

Ben

It looks like the people affected the most by the hurricane are in for even more cold temperatures and rain over the next few days. It's going to be a long winter for many people who have lost so much.

Naptime

It really is going to be a long time to full recovery for some of those people hit the hardest. With the onset of winter soon rebuilding anything will probably be put off for several months. I feel for these people that have lost everything because they will have no sense of normalcy for quite some time.