Graphite Powder

Wildman

Every winter I try to remember to put some graphite powder in the locks on my van. They get fussy when winter comes and don't want to turn as easily as they should. So, I go to the auto parts store and buy some graphite powder to "grease" the lock mechanism. Works every time.

sweetlhs

That's great advice wildman. I appreciate it and will do just that. I wondered why my key seemed a little tight in that lock. I've done this with the house keys but never even thought about it with the vehicles. Thanks!

UGoGirl

I had never heard of this until now, and now that I have, graphite powder is on my shopping list. Thanks for passing this helpful info along.

RoseRed

I appreciate the tip as well. Usually my locks get lubed when I go in for an oil change but not always and it sounds like something that is very easy to do at home.

Wildman

It's very easy to do. The powder usually comes in a small tube which has a nozzle on it which will allow you to place the powder in the lock hole. It's a simple and cheap fix. I use it on the locks on the house too.

Vroom Vroom

I have never heard of this. It usually doesn't get cold enough here to freeze the locks, but it is a good tip to know about and I will pass it on.

Donnie

This graphite powder is a new one for me, too. We have one old car where the locks stick at times. I'm going to have to look for it, too. What else does it work on? I've been following the old advice to "hold my tongue just right," which doesn't work all that well.

Geared

I've heard of that but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still "sticking" to my WD-40 and can of De-Ice spray for the winter time when they freeze up. I'll definitely remember this though.