Heater problems

smash

Okay so no matter what I have the heater on (A/C, cool or heat) when I put the speed on 2,3 or 4 the whole car shakes. I think it might be a problem with the blower motor! Are they a pain to fix?

FenderBender

I have never heard of anything like that before. The blower motor might be expensive to fix but not difficult. It really depends on what kind of car you have though. I hope you can get it fixed without too much trouble.

Otto Von

I have a similar problem, except my car does not shake. If I am driving up a hill with AC/heat/etc my car loses A TON of power! Normally, I will just turn off the AC/heat until the car has sped up significantly or made it over a hill/mountain.

classicjuju

Get your thermostat checked first. Believe it or not, when that's defective, it can have effects all over the car. The good thing is that it is one of the easiest and least expensive fixes, if it turns out to be that.

RoseRed

I hope it is just the thermostat, since that's easy and a cheap fix. Whatever it is though, now is the time to get it fixed, since the weather is definitely turning colder. Good luck.

Wildman

We just had the blower motor replaced in our van. A friend of mine did the install but I helped. The blower motor was located under the dash on the passenger side. The motor did cost a bit of change and we couldn't find a used one. But, I would have done anything to get that heater to work. It's really cold out at 6am.

smash

I think it's the motor but the problem is the motor is right under the air bag! Holy cow! We don't want to engage that baby when trying to fix it. I'm going to buy a book on the car today.

Ben

I didn't realize a heater could affect the power of the entire engine. This is good to know. We have one car that is really sluggish in the winter. I may just need to get it checked. It's really getting cold around here.

smash

Okay we finally took the dashboard out to find the blower motor. Guess what it was? Seriously there was a big nest of something (no animals in it) in the blower motor. Once we took it out the motor was fine and the heater was fine! I couldn't believe it.

RoseRed

Wow, smash, that is totally crazy! It's good you finally took care of that; I wonder what kind of nest it was. Could you tell?