Helmets

Dodge Doll

OK, it's been a LOONNNNNGGGG time since I was on a motorcycle, and while it's been so long, I'm still aware of what's going on around me as regards the machines.

I keep seeing people on motorcycles with 'beanie' helmets, and naked arms.

I was taught that you don't ride unless you're wearing a full-face helmet with an iron-jaw in it, jeans (minimum), and a leather jacket, regardless of the ambient temperature.

I wonder if there's research about the types of helmets and the stats re: injuries.... ?

What's your take on the subject?

vroombaby

I think people who do not take proper precautions when on a bike are tools. Just this weekend I caught someone with a helmet on, walking up a hill from a freeway overpass that was without a bike. Guess what happened? Without that helmet he would not be on that hill.

Donald

I saw a biker today wearing a "beanie" style helmet like you're talking about. I said a quick prayer for him, I hate it when people don't protect themselves. This is America though, where apparently people have the right to be stupid. As long as they're not hurting anyone else, I just hope their luck is good.

Lamboguy

I'm not even sure there is a helmet law at all where I live in South Florida. I hardly ever seen anyone with a helmet on. Well, actually I think when they have helmets on it's most often the ones with the fast sports bike, not the Harley types. It's funny too, because a lot of those bike riders that don't have helmets always have to go faster than everyone on the expressway.

Guy

Some people don't like the government "telling them what to do" and even resent the fact that there are helmet laws at all.

MotorX

I *always* wear a helmet, but sometimes I leave my leather jacket at home when it's 80s and 90s outside. I know it would protect me in a crash, but so far I haven't been in a crash.

MaximumSpeed

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle without a helmet myself, but I also think that it isn't the government's place to legislate safety. If they would make people responsible for their own safety -- and not give rewards to idiots -- maybe people would be safer on their own.

NeedNewWheels

I support helmet laws. I fear that if I hit or one of the non-helmet wearing dummies hit me I am responsible for paying for their head injuries. I don't have that kind of money to pay for somebody's choice to not wear a helmet.