Hot Wiring Your Car

Wildman

Have you learned how to hot wire your car? What if you have lost the keys and you need to get it started to get to the dealership to get new keys? I really think everyone should learn the skill just in case they need it.

RoseRed

No, I have never learned how to hotwire a car. If I lose the keys, we have a spare set. If the spare gets lost or is otherwise unaccessible, I guess I'll call AAA.

smash

No - I have no idea how to hot wire a car. If I lost my keys I would have to get new ones from the dealership. I wouldn't want to hotwire the car! I am pretty sure that it illegal!

sweetlhs

Like the rest of you, I have no idea how to hot wire my car. Aren't there some preventive measures on the newer models where you can't hot wire them? Seems like I have read about this somewhere.

Vroom Vroom

I think it is pretty hard to hot wire the newer cars. They have all kinds of security features on them now. I did have a friend that had to hot wire her car for a while, but it was because the key had gotten stuck and broke off in the ignition switch.

UGoGirl

I am sure that hot wiring a modern car is a much more complex operation than it ever used to be. I used to know how to do it on my really simple 1972 Plymouth Duster, but not anymore.